Saturday, March 14, 2009

Under The Weather

Our little one has not been feeling well this past week or should I for the past two weeks when the eye gunk started flowing. We thought we had the eye gunk under control but then last Sunday it came back. The doctor prescribed us the eye drops since I called and explained that I didn't think the eye ointment worked. I told him that it was difficult for me to get the ointment in his eye and he said that if I got it onto his lids it melted into his eye and he was sure that most of the ointment got into the eye but prescribed me the drops anyway. Sheesh... So we did the eye drop thing and it worked but then our little one still wasn't acting right or eating for that matter. He got a fever on Wednesday night, of this past week, but it was gone Thursday and he seemed his chipper little self Thursday morning. But then this past Friday morning he woke up with some nasty green drainage coming out of his cute little nose. And so, we made a trip to the doctor's Friday afternoon and turns out he has a double ear infection (I hate you green eye gunk for making your way to my baby's ears) and some bronchial issues. I started him on the antibiotics and inhaler doses last night before bed. He managed to sleep through the night and I thought for sure when he woke up he would be starving (and I'm sure he was) but because of the double ear infection, he only drank 3 ounces of his formula. As the day progressed, I monitored him closely and noticed that in a five hour time span he did not urinate. So, I called the doctor again and the recommendation was to take him to the emergency room if he did not urinate in the next 3 hours. The other recommendation was to feed him with a medicine dropper and to try to pump fluids into him every 15-20 minutes, this was the recommendation that saved us from going to the ER. We were able to get about 16 ounces a fluid in him today, 10 cheerios, 3 bites of banana's, a half a yogurt, and whole container of prunes (the last one took me the entire day). After using the medicine dropper for fluids, we had urination 3 to be specific and he made one big messy diaper that resulted in an early bath. After taking his bath, he felt much better and actually talked and played like his usual little self! Hopefully tomorrow he will feel even better. My husband and I felt terrible all day to see our little one suffering. We tried our best to make him as happy and comfortable as he could be. Mommy and daddy love you baby!!!!


Julie said...

Your poor little one! That sounds horrible. I hope he gets better soon.

Munchkins and Music said...

Oh, I hate ear infections, my kids get one every time with out fail when they get a cold. Hope he feels better! I've been gone for a few months, but I'm back now! Hope you are well! :)

Christie O. said...

oh poor poor baby!!! i hate when my kids are sick i hate it i hate it i hate it. i hope he's feeling good again soon, poor thing! when you started out on the eye gunk thing, i was hoping it was just a clogged tear duct, which was what we had once. i wish it were though, cause that's so much simpler!! hope everything's better soon!