Saturday, December 13, 2008

Pain is the word for the week

This past week was a little rough over here at the Alberts household. My son did not sleep well all week. He has been sleeping through the night since about 3-5 weeks old (can't remember exactly but for a long time now) and all of a sudden this week there wasn't much sleeping going on through the night. He kept waking up crying and me not knowing what was wrong just thought maybe he was hungry, so I fed him. Well, he wasn't hungry and turns out he had and still has an ear infection. Luckily, I was able to get him into see the doctor on Friday after work. And thank god he just so happened to be at my mother-in-laws house yesterday because she came with me to the doctors so that I could see my doctor, after we were done seeing his doctor, about my said knee problem.

My son is now taking Amoxicillin and getting a dose of baby Motrin before bedtime. He had his first dose of Amoxicillin last night along with the baby Motrin and it worked wonders. My son slept all the way through the night last night and woke up his chipper little self this morning. I was shocked that he was in such a good mood today considering the PAIN he was in yesterday. It pained me to see how much pain he was in. I just wanted to love him and hold him all night (I held him and loved on him all day today too!). And then there's my pain, which is nothing in comparison to what my son had to go through. The doctor confirmed that the meniscus in my right knee is indeed torn. My knee was actually starting to feel better until the doctored pulled and twisted and pulled and twisted on it again yesterday. He said that he wanted to see if my body was going to heal all on it's own and that he wanted me to come back for a follow up visit in a couple of weeks. He didn't want to put me through having an MRI and knee scope done if it wasn't absolutely necessary. He offered to prescribe me a pain medication but I told him that it was bearable and I probably would just stick to taking some Tylenol as needed. He also said that I could continue to use the elliptical as my form of exercise but absolutely no running until he clears me. I can live with that.

My mom had her knee reconstruction done and she too is in pain. The surgery went well but she had a couple of bumps along the way. On Thursday the doctors found a blood clot in her leg, which is going to prolong her recovery. She is now at a rehab facility learning how to walk again. I am going to visit her tomorrow. I am also going to visit my grandpa.

My grandpa has been sick and I haven't talked about it because I feel that it is just to personal to talk about for all who are involved. I just wanted to say that I love him, think about him often, and keep him in my prayers each night. And I wanted to thank him for treating me as one of his own (and only) grand daughter for all of these years. My father married his daughter (my step mom, but my mom) twenty years ago and he ( and my grandma) have done so much for me throughout the years. They have been supportive when I've needed support, they have been loving when I've needed loved, and they have given me advice when I have needed advice. They have given me a sense of what families are all about and since my fathers parents died before I was born, I have been blessed to be loved by them. I wouldn't have the family values I have without them.

4 comments:

maggie said...

Definitely sounds like lots of ouch all around. Hope everyone is feeling better soon, and I'm sending good thoughts for your grandpa. He sounds like good people.

Christie O. said...

oh boy, first i'm sorry bout the old knee. i've had two surgeries on mine so i know that pain well. i hope you're up and running again soon!! and i hope your son, your mom and your grampa are doing well. i'm sending you all healing thoughts.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Oh yea. Jason had so many ear infections that he didn't sleep through the night until he was 2.5 yrs old (and I'm not exaggerating).
I'll keep your Grandpa and your whole family in my prayers, Dani.

Melissa said...

HOpe that everyone is feel better and SOON!