Friday, May 9, 2008

No Wonder Breastfeeding Moms Lose Weight

I have been trying to breastfeed my son because it is the best thing for him! However, I have been eating like I normally eat and that is not good for him at all. The last couple of days he has been really gassy. Luckily, Grandma Dresp (FOOD NAZI) was over to help me out yesterday and pointed out what I was doing wrong. She breastfed my brother and I and assured me that although things have changed as far as diaper changing and sleeping habits, breastfeeding has not! She asked me what I eat for lunch yesterday and when I told her a burrito she just looked at me like OH NO YOU DIDN'T and I just looked back at her like OH YES I DID!! That's when she decided to fill me in on what I should and shouldn't eat and sure enough she was right. I even got on-line to look some things up and everything she said was right there in front of me! I can't even eat chocolate (that's a shame).

Here is what I can eat:
Breastfeeding - Diet for the Breastfeeding Mother
While you are lactating, it is very important to eat a nutritious diet to maintain your health and your baby's health. Approximately 500 additional calories per day are required during lactation. That is more than when you were pregnant! The diet should include a variety of foods from all food groups. Avoid excess fat, cholesterol, sugar and salt. Healthy snacks are important throughout the day to provide you with the needed energy for milk production. Continue your prenatal vitamins while you are nursing.
Food Group
Servings per day
Nutrients Supplied
Milk & Milk Products
1 serving =
1 c. milk1 c. yogurt1 ½ c. ice cream1 ½ oz. Cheese1 c. tofu
5
Calcium, Protein, Phosphorus, Vitamin D, Riboflavin
Protein Foods
1 serving =
3 oz. meat, fish, poultry2 eggs1 c. beans, lentils1 c. tofu¼ c. peanut butter½ c. nuts
4
Protein, Iron, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12,Niacin, Folate
Fruits
1 serving =
½ - ¾ c.Citrus fruits Mango, Strawberries, Melons, Papaya
2-4
Vitamins A, C
Vegetables
1 serving =
½ c. - ¾ c.Green, leafy vegetables, Yellow vegetables, Peppers, Potatoes
3-5
Vitamins A, C, E, K,Riboflavin, Folate
Breads & Cereals
1 serving =
1 slice whole grain bread1 small tortilla½ bagel½ c. dry or cooked cereal½ cup rice, pasta, noodles1 muffin, roll1 Tbs. wheat germ
6-11
Fiber, Vitaminn B complex,Iron, Folate

No comments: